In this episode of Office Talk, I got a chance to chat with Shanna Skidmore, a business strategist and financial coach for creative entrepreneurs. I could definitely relate to Shanna, whose primary business goal is to simplify the seemingly daunting task of finance for her clients and set them up with the basic financial knowledge they need to take their businesses to the next level. For most creatives, finance and law can appear so overwhelming, but as Shanna shares with us, there are very few things you need to know, and once you know them, you’ll find it’s really not as complicated as you’d imagine.
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN IN THIS EPISODE
- The most common pitfalls that Shanna sees creative entrepreneurs making and how to avoid them
- How to calculate pricing based on profit and what to do if your prices are higher than you think clients are willing to pay
- How time-tracking saved Shanna’s business, plus her favorite app for time-tracking
- Why knowing the purpose of your business is essential to its success
- Why Shanna recommends sabbaticals for creative entrepreneurs and why it’s so much easier than you think
- A bit about Shanna’s background as a financial planner and how she grew into her current business of helping creative entrepreneurs master finance
CONNECT WITH HER AT
- Website: http://www.shannaskidmore.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shannaskidmore/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shannaskidmoreconsulting/
RESOURCES WE TALKED ABOUT
- The Power of Time Off TED Talk
- Tim Ferris quote: “Never automate something that can be eliminated, and never delegate something that can be automated or streamlined. Otherwise, you waste someone else’s time instead of your own, which now wastes your hard-earned cash. How’s that for incentive to be effective and efficient?”
- The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris **
- The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber **
** Heads up! Items marked with an asterisk are affiliate links. This means that if you purchase an item using this link, I may earn a commission. I only recommend products that I love.
- If you liked this episode, please subscribe to the show on iTunes, and leave a rating and a review. By leaving a review, it helps me reach more people and schedule even more amazing guests.
- Let's continue the Office Talk conversation over in the Office Talk Facebook group. Join the group here.
- You can also catch the show on Google Play and on Stitcher.
- Want to be a guest on the show? Click here to be my guest.