Now that you’re running your own business, from time to time you may decide to bring on additional help. Or maybe you’re ready to hire someone to assist you right from the outset.
The laws surrounding hiring can get quite complicated, to say the least.
In this Legal (not-so) Quickie episode, I’m sitting down with Lonnie GIamela, a partner at the labor and employment law firm of Fisher & Phillips and we’re diving into the most common questions that come up when you’re ready to hire.
Even if you’re not planning on hiring anytime soon, you’ll still want to have a listen so when the day comes - and trust me, it will - you’ll have a good understanding of the issues you need to address before you say “you’re hired.”
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN IN THIS EPISODE
- A little about Lonnie and his legal practice
- The questions a business owner should ask in determining the proper classification of a worker as either an independent contractor or employee
- The #1 rule you need to know to make sure you’re correctly classifying a worker as an independent contractor
- 3 main points that should be addressed in an employee contract
- Getting audited for a labor complaint? Learn how to handle it.
- What you should be aware of when hiring (virtual) employees in another state
- The 5 topic areas you need to understand as an employer and red flags to look for (and avoid) when hiring
- The difference between a confidentiality agreement/ NDA, a non-solicitation agreement, and a non-compete agreement - and which one every business owner should have
CONNECT WITH HIM AT
- Website: www.fisherphillips.com
RESOURCES WE TALKED ABOUT
- Independent Contractor Agreement Contract Template
- Independent Contractor Confidentiality Agreement Contract Template
- Independent Contractor vs. Employee - IRS.gov
- California’s Borrello Test - S. G. Borello & Sons, Inc. v. Department of Industrial Relations
- California Chamber of Commerce
- Employment Law Information Network - www.elinfonet.com
- Professionals In Human Resources Association (PIHRA) - www.pihra.org
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) - www.shrm.org
DOWNLOAD THE CHEAT SHEET FOR THIS EPISODE
To help distill all the legal nuggets Lonnie shares in this episode, I created a cheat sheet you can use for your reference. Get your copy by signing up below:
TAKE THE SURVEY
One of my goals this year is to get to know YOU better so I can be sure to create the kind of content and programs that will help YOU with YOUR unique business.
But to do that, I first need a little feedback…Would you be kind enough to take my quick “How I Can Serve You Better” survey available here?
To thank you for your time and your honest feedback -- at the end of the survey you'll get a limited time discount code for 20% off all contract templates on the site.
- If you liked this episode, please subscribe to the show on iTunes, and leave a rating and a review. By leaving a review, it helps me reach more people and schedule even more amazing guests.
- Let's continue the Office Talk conversation over in the Office Talk Facebook group. Join the group here.
- You can also catch the show on Google Play and on Stitcher.
- Want to be a guest on the show? Click here to be my guest.